A BRIEF PREAMBLE:
While you should most definitely strive to enjoy your grub (as i certainly always do), you most definitely need to “eat to live (mostly)”…as opposed to “live to eat (mostly)”!
There is a huge and striking difference. Eat to live and encourage a long and healthy life. Live to eat and court serious illnesses and an untimely end to your life.
What i mean is: don’t just eat…and eat…and eat some more, just because you like to eat. Because there’s plenty of food available. Or because of peer pressure. And of course because of the normal and accepted notions of our modern society i.e. you must eat a certain amount of meals every day, whether you need it or not…bollox!
CUTTING TO THE CHASE:
No amount of exercise will benefit your health, and subsequently your self-confidence if you abuse your body with bad or unwarranted dietary habits. If you don’t eat to live!
I have a simple set of 6 rules that have always worked, and always will:
- Eat when you’re hungry…simple! At least once per day. Two, three or even four times, if you need. At the same time everyday.
- Don’t be a glutton. Consume enough food at each meal to be comfortably full, not uncomfortably “stuffed”. Stuffing yourself stupid has a seriously derogatory effect on your liver and your bowels.
- Never eat a large protein-filled meal just before hitting the sack. Your body will be
working hard to digest it. Apart from the possibility of “blowing” your partner or your duvet off the bed, it’s very likely that your sleep quality will be effected!
- Ensure the food you eat, suits you. If you have an intolerance to anything, Just don’t fkn do it. Your body is telling you that you don’t need it…simple!
- Never drink (anything, but especially booze) while eating and wait at least 30 minutes after you’ve finished eating before you drink anything. There’s good reason for this, trust me. You can research it aplenty on the net.
- Eat wholesome, natural, preferably free-range food, whenever and wherever you possibly can. At least be a little fussy and read the labels of the packages before you purchase. You’ll be amazed and horrified at the amount of poison, especially sugar, that’s in your standard supermarket foods these days…fkn scary!
Eat To Live And ‘Live’
Quality proteins and quality nutrients are what your body and your mind need, not all the poisonous and heavily processed junk that is so common nowadays…surely just plain common-sense really, right?
Now don’t get me wrong, i’ve always maintained, and always will maintain, that a little bit of what you love i.e. ice-cream, donut, beer, crusty fresh white bread etc., won’t hurt you.
But when it’s an everyday, 7 day a week, 365 day a year habit, you’re going to pay with your health and ultimately your self-confidence…big time!
Which very neatly and very aptly brings me to this:
The moral of this story is: fats, of the right kind and in moderation, are not the killers they’ve very wrongly been made out to be over the past several decades.
Good fats like those in coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, nuts, and yup, even those of my own staple diet, good ol’ eggs n’ meat…good old fashioned animal fats.
Sugar however, is the thing you need to be seriously wary of.
Sugar is an insidious poison that’s been slowly but surely, having a massive global effect on our health.
You don’t have to take my word for it. Just go and check out all the info’ that abounds on the .www and see for yourself.
After sugar of course, there’s your processed wheat flour that’s used in all our pastries, breads and crackers etc. Just another slow burning sugar, all too ready to help you along the road to joining the ranks of those who form part of the massive global rising of obesity, diabetes and depression…be scared, be very scared!
And last but not least, those heavily processed, and very carcinogenic ‘vegetable’ oils so often used for cooking nowadays…just stay away dude/dudess!
A FINAL ANECDOTE:
Well balanced meals made up of wholesome proteins, green vegetables and complex carbs is how you eat to live…wherever and whenever you can.
Be habitually kind to that amazing piece of natural engineering that we all so often abuse and take for granted, your body. And whatever your dietary preference, veggie-head or out-n-out meat-head (like yours truly), you just need to let common sense prevail!
* * *
Here’s something to remember from the great Leonardo Da Vinci:
If you want to be healthy observe this regime.
Do not eat when you have no appetite and dine lightly,
Chew well, and whatever you take into you
Should be well-cooked and of simple ingredients.
He who takes medicine is ill advised
Beware anger and avoid stuffy air.
Stay standing a while when you get up from a meal.
Make sure you do not sleep at midday.
Let your wine be mixed with water, take little at a time
Not between meals, nor on an empty stomach.
Neither delay nor prolong your visit to the toilet.
If you take exercise, let it not be too strenuous.
Do not lie with your stomach upward and your head
Downward. Be well covered at night,
And rest your head and keep your mind cheerful.
Avoid wantonness and keep to this diet
Yup, over 500 hundred years old. The man was way ahead of his time…don’t ya think!?!
* * *
Carpe Diem, Be All You Should Be
Peter EC Kirwan